Saturday, May 13, 2006

*UPDATED*

Originally posted here, 05/04/06

In true Brent-sucks-at-homework fashion, I'd like to unveil my latest Linux endeavor.

I've built a whole new Linux box out of even more spare parts from work and elsewhere. My last one was decommissioned and dismantled, and the parts were ultimately used in combinations with parts from my SCSI-based machine for [info]kissthedollhead's Christmas present (1GHz Athlon system) and Culture Rising's POS machine (933MHz Pentium 3).

Here're the specs on my new baby (from which I am making this post):

1.8GHz Pentium 4 (Socket478, 400MHz FSB) || 256MB DDR266 || DFI NB30-BL (Intel 845GL) || Intel Extreme Graphics (Integrated) || SoundBlaster Live! || 40GB WD ATA-100 7200RPM || 52x24x52x LG CDRW || 52x AOpen CD-ROM || ASUS 400W PSU

It's running Debian 3.1 r2 "sarge" (stable) on the 2.6.8-2 kernel. I've installed OpenOffice.org for desktop publishing, Firefox (and Java and Flash) for web browsing, GAIM for instant messaging, The GIMP for photo editing, and VLC for media. I'm using all stable Debian packages, so even though they're a little out of date, the system is rock-fucking-solid. Took me a while to re-familiarize myself with Debian after so long, but I was able to manually tweak the display settings, GNOME, and the apt sources to make it all nice 'n pretty 'n smooth.

Here's a picture of my desktop:

[Image]

It's actually running at 1280x1024, but I scaled the image down to 1024x768 for you guys... And yes, I made it cluttered for this screenshot ;)

In other news, I've overclocked my new video card (ASUS N6800/TD/512M). The core is now at 375MHz (stock was 325MHz), and the RAM is at 650MHz (stock was 540MHz). I successfully unlocked an extra vertex unit, but was unable to unlock the extra pixel unit and still maintain proper stability and image quality. What this means in the end is that my games run an average of just under 10 frames-per-second faster at high detail settings.

UPDATE: Got me one 'o these!

No comments: