Saturday, May 13, 2006

Grand Theft Auto

Originally posted here, 08/21/05

A few years ago, I was playing GTA Vice City on my PC, and the most amazing thing happened; as I recall, it was during a mission in which I had to pick up a package at an airport. I had ditched my car earlier and run to the hangar for the package. When I picked it up, I was suddenly swarmed by FBI agents, vans, helicopters, etc... With no transportation available, I booted it across the tarmac, bullets and vans whizzing by. It was a pretty intense chase, and somehow I managed to make it to the road, but there was a tall fence between me and my escape. That's when I spotted a pile of wood near the fence. I bolted for the pile, climbed atop, and lunged over the fence. Right then, a Lamborgini drives by... So I jack it and hop-in just as the chorus of Gary Numan's "Cars" ("Here in my car, I feel safest of all...") comes on the radio... Eerie, eh?

I figured it was just a one-time fluke, but the other day I was playing GTA San Andreas and something similar happened. It was a mission that entailed chasing a limo for a pimp. Inside was a priest-type guy trying to "cleanse" one of the pimp's hookers; the guy was just a dirty old man taking advantage of his position. Anyway, all throughout the chase, you hear the guy instructing the hooker do all kinds of dirty things. At one point, he says something like "Put your hand right there". Right after he said this, Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" begins on the radio ("Reach out and touch faith...").

I've tried to recreate these events, but it's been different every time.

I have waaay too much time on my hands.

No comments: