Saturday, May 13, 2006

Linux!

Originally posted here, 08/21/05

I figured I should learn how to use this Linux thing everyone's talking about; it's like Windows, but completely free (legally), less evil, more efficient with your hardware, and completely customizable... Oh, and it's also a complete bitch to learn, even if you think you know your way around computers :) After learning the hard way with Debian (prolly a good idea in the long-run), I've recently started working with Ubuntu. It has taken a lot of the pain out of the process since it comes with a really good set of default packages (drivers 'n stuff) and applications: OpenOffice 1.1.3, Firefox 1.06, a music player very similar to iTunes, The GIMP (think Photoshop), Gaim (universal instant messaging; MSN, ICQ, etc...), BitTorrent, and the all-important card games (Solitaire, FreeCell). The dependency hell of Debian just got the best of me in the end, and Ubuntu alleviates a lot of those issues.

So after perusing a few starter guides and forums and picking my brother's brain (he does this shit for a living), I learned how to do a lot of the important stuff from the shell (think DOS), install new hardware, and install third-party software (like games :) ).

My Linux box's current specs are:
933MHz Pentium III
512MB PC133
ASUS CUV4X-V
64MB GeForce3 Ti200
20GB HDD
12x DVD-ROM
SoundBlaster Live!

So in the end, built at no cost (all spare parts), I have a very fast computer that can browse the Internet, do instant messaging, help me do my homework, play movies and music, play games (currently Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament, and Tux Racer), and download pr0n with the greatest of ease ;) I am 1337.

In other news, I made my first /. post today... It was about a Quebec-designed, feature-rich, but underpowered video card from a few years ago.

Good lord, I'm pathetic :(

No comments: