Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ungh...

I've been called-in to work no less than three extra days both this week and the next. I'm not used to this 9:30 start time ;)

I'm still confused by the RAM situation with my Linux machine; MemTest is reporting a bandwidth of 999MB/s... Which is, what, PC133 speeds? Like, isn't DDR333 supposed to have a bandwidth of about 2700MB/s? I'm confused... Especially since I noticed MemTest reporting the RAM bandwidth on an Athlon 2800+ machine (BIOS settings to DDR333 speeds) as under 999MB/s. Can anyone help me find out what speed my RAM is actually running at? Please? :)

Funny thing about that K6-2 PC I gave away the other week. Another friend from that side of town had been asking me for some time to fix-up his computer, and I finally got around to it this past weekend. The core system (500MHz AMD K6-2, 256MB RAM, Aladdin 5 chipset) was identical to the one I gave away. Weird... Anyway, I replaced Windows 98 with Windows 2000, his 1.5GB HDD with a 7GB, his sketchy 40x CD-ROM with a 48x, his ISA SoundBlaster with a basic PCI one, and his Linksys wireless card with another one that didn't crash his system. I also ditched his ISA 56k modem.

Finally, that kid with the 1.4GHz P4 went the $75 route, so he's getting a 1.8GHz P4, a new ASRock P4VM800, and two 256MB sticks of DDR400 RAM.

No comments: