Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Almost done?

I swear I'll stop changing the hardware on my Linux box soon, but I've still got a few concerns...

I remembered I had an old 128MB Radeon 8500LE lyring around, so that made more sense than leaving the slower 9200SE in there. The 8500LE, however, has active cooling, whereas the 9200SE's is passive. Also, regardless of performance or cooling solution, ATi's Linux drivers kinda suck. The official ones on their website (8.24.08) seem to be using MESA 4.0.4 (originally released 10/03/02)... Yeah. nVidia's Linux drivers, on the other hand, kick ass. I'm really wishing I hadn't given away the extra 64MB GeForce3 Ti200 I had :\ The best nVidia card in my pile right now is a GeForce2 GTS. Hrm.

My other lingering concern is with regard to the CPU. My options are between the 2.6GHz P4 on a 400MHz FSB I currently have in there and a 2.4GHz P4 on a 533MHz FSB. Performance is about the same, really, and I believe they came out around the same time, so... I dunno... Maybe go for the 2.4 just to keep-up with the DDR333 RAM...?

No comments: