Saturday, May 13, 2006

I've got so much to tell all of you about, but I'll probably forget half of it...

Originally posted here, 03/12/06

Remember when I posted about my computers the other day? Go back and read it, and check-out the Pentium 4 machine... I decided to upgrade it one more time a few days ago. This was sort of an experiment in overclocking (something I've shied-away from in my many IT years; my only previous endeavour being my attempt to bump my Radeon 8500LE up to non-LE levels); a trip downtown and ~$130 later, I had a shiny new Pentium 4 2.4A ("Prescott" core; 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). While my motherboard isn't exactly designed for any hardcore overclocking, and Pentium 4s' multipliers are locked, it does offer decent FSB and RAM timing tweaking options. Long story short, I worked my way up to an 800MHz FSB. With a multiplier of 18, that gives me a clockspeed of 3.6GHz!!! I just got a $500+ CPU (sans-Hyper-Threading) for $130! So I popped-in two 512MB sticks of DDR400 RAM (dual channel), and now I'm really cooking ;)

No comments: