Friday, February 02, 2007

Ooohhh... Pretty.

So I got the XBOX 360 HD-DVD player earlier this evening, and I'm currently taking a break from watching King Kong on it. While it's very nice to get a pack-in, they could've picked something a little less... Drawn-out :) I've never seen the movie before, and while it does showcase the wonders of the HD generation quite nicely, I'm a little over half-way through it and ready to do just about anything else. Also, the Universal Media Remote uses IR (saves on batteries, I'm assuming), and part of my entertainment centre kinda blocks the IR receiver on the console... And no, I can't move it somewhere else (wiring). Ugh. Still, I have an HD-DVD player. Hooray!

I've also been informed that the 360 up-samples regular DVDs from 480p if you're using the VGA cable... Now, I'm pretty sure my TV only has DVI, but an adapter would do the trick, right? Hrmmm...

Anyway, that's about it. Wait, one more thing: I did renew my XBOX Live Gold account, and immediately downloaded the Crackdown demo. Holy shit, is this game fun! Power-ups are accelerated in the demo, and once one of your attributes hits level two, a 30-minute time limit begins, but I'm already hooked! The graphics are nothing special (it's built on RenderWare technology, so it's not ugly, but not super-awesome either), the story is trivial, and the cel-shading style just seems out of place, but the gameplay is gold! Think modern Grand Theft Auto with Deus Ex/Matrix-esque abilities. I could skip all the missions and just jump from rooftop to rooftop for hours, and if I got bored, I'd just throw some cars and trucks around with my bare hands :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might suggest finding some way to position a mirror so that you can bounce your ir from the remote to the device. Perhaps a complicated maze of reflective objects cluttering your room would be in order.

Brent said...

Hah! I'll be sure to look into that ;)