Saturday, February 10, 2007

Sneaky bastards...

The other day, my dad asked me why they were showing old movies on the "Speed" channel. Turns out the cable company decided to change their existing cable package and make that channel available only as an add-on for digital customers. Great. So the cable bill automatically goes up by another $4~7 per month for the digital service and equipment rental fees, plus another few bucks for that one channel. What a fuckin' racket. My dad said he called them to see what was up, and they said that because people were unhappy, they were waiving the hardware rental fee for the first year... Except that's their standard promotion anyway; it has nothing to do with unhappy customers. Jerks.

Speaking of jerks, it turns out Microsoft isn't quite so asinine about upgrading previous versions of Windows to Vista. There is a work-around to the upgrade path I mentioned a few posts back that does not require a previous installation in order to use an upgrade licence, and not only is Microsoft aware of it, but they don't plan on doing anything about it!

Speaking of erroneous past posts, I was wrong in my belief that the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4 supported progressive scan. I confused it with natively supporting a widescreen format that the GameCube version didn't. Just to double-check all of my PS2 games (not all have the "Progressive Scan" tag on the case), I headed over to Mobygames to see what their database had to say. What a great site :) Oh, and yeah, this means I've finished God Of War... It was fantastic!

Anyway, a couple of quick final notes: The music in Oracle Of Seasons is some of the best I've ever heard come out of a Game Boy, or any system. It's just well-written and really stands-out because of it. Also, as I was wandering around downtown Toronto yesterday, I stopped-in at Game Shack (just off Yonge and Dundas, Northwest block) and saw a copy of Psychonauts for Windows for $15. I brought it up to the counter, and the guy said he'd get me another one. Turns-out he has stacks(!) of factory-sealed copies of the Windows and PS2 ($20) versions of the game that he got from one of his suppliers! I asked him about the XBOX version, and he said he'd look into getting it. If you're ever in the neighbourhood, kids, pick one up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just read about the windows upgrade path. looks like i might put it on the macbook pro after all.

gameshack is where my sister picked up my wii. maybe i'l swing by and pick that game up for the ps2. always meant to.

i liked the RE4 gamecube version better dude. i have both and while the ps2 has a few better extras, the game just feels better on the cube.

and zelda has always excelled at music. i should really pick up both oracles.

later dude!

Brent said...

I haven't read anything about Vista on Intel Macs... But I understand that Vista as a gaming platform in general still has some maturing to do, so you may want to hold-off for a few months :)

I hear the PS2 version of Psychonauts is the weakest of the three (slowdown, etc...). I imagine the Windows version would run fine on your Mac (it's not a terribly hardware-intensive game), and the XBOX version just got added to the 360 backwards compatible list not too long ago.

I had meant to pick-up the GC version of RE4 once I got a Wii, but then my litte brother surprised me with the PS2 version on Christmas. Can't really complain about that :)

You're absolutely right about Zelda music in general, but I'm noticing that this title has fantastic music by even Zelda standards!