Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Doot doot doot...

I haven't touched my N64 in forever, my 360 is getting more use as a DVD player than as a gaming system, and my Guitar Hero guitars have been collecting dust for a little while now. Why is this? Well, I really have no solid answer. I did sit down and finish Oracle Of Seasons and get started on Oracle Of Ages (see "zelda" to the right), and I've been trying my damnedest to get into Resident Evil 4 with little success, but that doesn't really explain what's going on. I performed a clean Windows XP installation on my audio/gaming computer, but that was just one evening. I've only taken-on one repair job over the past few weeks (data back-up on a failing hard drive), and that, again, was only one evening. This is strange...

Anyway, I feel should explain why I'm having such a hard time getting into Resident Evil 4. I really enjoyed the first game in the series, but never finished it. The same can be said for Nemesis and Code Veronica. I did finish RE2, and it was fantastic, but it was also a trying experience. I think the RE games previous to 4 have ingrained a sense of necessary resource management and performance perfection in me for the survival horror genre. If I take too many shots to kill an enemy, or miss a pick-up, or take too much damage, the ridiculously scarce resources of the previous games have made me paranoid that I won't be able to progress past a certain point on account of my inefficiency. Now, I'm learning that RE4 is much more forgiving in this department, but I still can't shake the urge to reload my last save and check walk-throughs every time I finish a scene. It's frustrating to say the least, and I'm finding myself more than a little tempted to move-on to Bully or Jak 3.

No comments: