Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Guh...

Two things:

Rogers has not yet resolved my cable issues. The HD terminal did show up a few days earlier (Friday the 23rd) than they said it would (Monday the 26th), but it was supposed to be here no later than 21st initially. Since it showed-up on the Friday and they had offered us a $6 per month discount plus some extra channels, we e-mailed to accept the offer. Unfortunately, nobody seems to work past 3pm Eastern time on Fridays at Rogers, so all digital channels were "Not Authorized" until Monday morning; that's when about ten channels appeared and the rest showed nothing but gray. We received an e-mail confirmation of our order later that day, assuring us all would be well within the next 24 hours. 24 hours later, nothing had changed, so I called their 24-hour repair service line. Turns-out that this address is the only one in the neighbourhood that was not returning a signal to the tech. Sweet. The tech was very personable and didn't treat me like a moron, but was unable to solve my problem. After trying another TV and a few different wiring possibilities, I had exhausted my options and so I made an appointment for a house-call tomorrow. Oh, and they said they were going to charge me for a partial month... Hah! Not if I have anything to say about it.

Next up is accessorizing. I looked-around for a DVI-D cable (for the HDTV terminal) and a three-input component switch (for my 360, XBOX, and PS2). I found DVI-D cables going for as much as $180 for 2m, but, of course, I went to the local independent computer store and got a 3m cable for $20.99 :) I didn't have nearly as much success with the switch though. Apparently nobody carries them. I did find one place that had a two-input switch for $120, but that's a little high for something that didn't meet my minimum requirements. So, it seems as though I'll either be ordering one online, buying a stereo composite switch (~$30) and doing audio separately, or building my own... Should be exciting regardless of what I choose to do :) In the interim, I splurged and bought a copy of Serenity on HD DVD. I would've picked-up Pitch Black and Army Of Darkness as well, but they were over $30 each!

No comments: