Saturday, December 30, 2006

Curse you, PCChips!

The 866MHz (133MHz FSB) Pentium III-based system I mentioned a few posts back went to my cousin and her kids for Christmas; they were running a 600MHz (66MHz FSB) Celeron-based Compaq Presario with 128MB of RAM, so this was a nice upgrade. I took the Celeron system back with me to see what could be upgraded so that they could have a decent second system for the kids to do homework 'n such. I had a Socket 370 850MHz (100MHz FSB) Celeron chip lying around, but stability was sketchy in the Compaq system, even after a BIOS update that supposedly added support for newer CPUs. I also got my hands on an old Slot 1 667MHz (66MHz FSB) Celeron system that also supported Socket 370 CPUs, but it wouldn't boot with the 850MHz chip, and BIOS updates weren't possible (long story, blame PCChips). So, their second computer's gonna be a 667MHz Celeron system with 256MB of RAM... I'm installing Windows 2000 as I type this.

In video game land, Guitar Hero II co-op is awesome, and the single-player game is as fun as ever. I don't think the track list is as strong this time around (I'm about 29 songs in) and some of the vocal performances are kinda weak, but I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. I really wish I had the time to get into Bully and Enchanted Arms, but they're just gonna have to wait... Probably a couple of months :( Picked-up Top Spin 2, Amped 3, and Perfect Dark Zero ($70 for all three), and they're all solid. Top Spin 2's load times are a little long, and Perfect Dark Zero's aiming feels kinda stiff, but they're all still pretty fun. I've added my "gamer card" to the column on the right there, so you can kinda see what I've been up to. It neglects to mention, however, all the game demos I've been downloading and playing. Highlights so far include Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Ridge Racer 6, and Tony Hawk's Project 8. Sonic The Hedgehog and Test Drive Unlimited were real let-downs, and stuff like Full Auto and Ninety-Nine Nights were about as mediocre as expected. Gears Of War continues to be stupid-awesome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dead rising is fun as hell. so far r6:vegas is good as well, just a little odd at first. i finally got to play tomb raider: legends which was nice. dude, we'll play some co-op gears at some point. i'm finishing it up on insane difficulty right now.

as for th:p8 it was a fun demo, i'm just bored of the th games. the bullet time move thing was cool though.

i've also heard good things about burnout:revenge.

Brent said...

Did I never get around getting TR:L for Windows for you? Sorry 'bout that... Fun game; I'm definite;y looking forward to the sequel.

Dead Rising is certainly satisfying, but it seems as though it may end-up getting repetitive and frustrating like Ninety-Nine Nights... Perhaps I'll rent it first.

I've avoided Tony Hawk games since Underground came out, only messing around with the last three casually. Project 8 is interesting because it's reminiscent of the first four games but with the cool bullet-time stuff. The novelty'll prolly wear off soon enough though, so I'll wait 'til it's cheap before I pick-up the full game.

I'm working my way through hardcore in GoW... Dunno what to expect from multiplayer, but I'm kinda having performance anxiety ;) I also wonder how my makeshift wireless connection'll hold-up. Bug me for a game whenever you see me on there.

Anonymous said...

dead rising can get a bit repetative. although it depends on howyou play the game. i went through and completed all the case files first so it was still fresh. now i can just do whatever i feel like :)

i only played up to th3 so i'm not sure how the series went after underground. all i know is project8 seemed near the same as th2 in OS 9.

and no, i never ended up getting tr:l for winders, but i wouldn't have been able to click the next gen tab anyway so this was good.

don't bother with casual in GoW. i wasted my time with it. see you online dude.