Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Christmas Shopping Pirates!

I did some Christmas shopping for a few friends the other day. Tim's getting a TurboTap (expands the number of controller ports from one to five) for his Turbo Grafx 16, and Collin's getting Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Mortal Kombat, and Jurassic Park (all for Genesis). Naturally, I picked-up a few things for myself while I was out. I got The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Ages (GBC) and A Link To The Past (SNES), Wario Land II (GB), Streets Of Rage 3 (Genesis), and Splatterhouse (TG16). The Wario Land II cartridge, however, turned-out to be a pirated copy, so I was able to exchange it for Street Of Rage (Genesis).

Wario Land II first showed signs of trouble when it proved to be a tight fit in my Game Boy Advance SP, and then really had me confused when the title screen appeared and I was apparently playing the Japanese version of the game. This prompted me to examine the label more closely, and, strangely, it read "USA". That was when I noticed the top of the front side of the cartridge only said "GAME" rather than the normal "Nintendo GAME BOY". This was a relatively high-quality pirated copy, and played perfectly, but I'd prefer the real thing.

No comments: