Monday, September 15, 2008

Frequencies

I was playing with an FM car radio that has "Info", "P-Type" and "Traf" functions. Info displays text messages (such as radio station and song information) that are broadcast with the audio signal on an LCD in the dashboard. P-Type allows users to browse radio stations based on their programming type (talk, rock, r&b, country, etc...), as indicated by data broadcast with the audio signal, effectively bypassing any unwanted genres. Traf allows users to select their preferred station that broadcasts traffic reports, and have the radio automatically tune to that station when a traffic report is broadcast; this only works on stations that broadcast a traffic flag with the audio signal. I dunno about any of you, but I think that's really cool :)

I also just read this. While it's not a great exploration of the subject, it's still a thought-provoking article on the kinds of social commentaries that video games are capable of effectively achieving. It also kinda makes me wanna go out and find a copy of Persona 3 FES, even though I really have no idea when I'd get a chance to play it :\

No comments: