Monday, September 08, 2008

Epic

I neglected to mention in my last post that the 3D0 I bought was without a controller. I'd seen them online and at various shops, so I figured it was no big deal. The ensuing adventure was of epic proportions: The shipping on eBay was kinda outrageous, the people at the flea market stalls were adamant that these controllers were extremely rare and wanted no less than $25 for used Panasonic-branded controllers, and the specialty shops would only order new ones for $30 + tax... Yeah, not quite worth it to play Shockwave. 

In the end I scoured a ~50km radius around the city of Toronto over a few days. Four stalls at two flea markets, five independent shops downtown, two in Mississauga, one in North York, one in Oshawa, and one in Richmond Hill.

Not only did I finally find a third-party 3D0 controller for $10 at the last shop I checked out, I also picked up a lot of cool stuff along the way.  I bought a pack-in copy of Gex for 3D0 (just to have it on its original system), Wipeout 64 for N64, the Game Boy Color edition of Wario Land II (finally have all five Wario Land games!), and Congo and Last Bronx for Saturn. I was offered a copy of Return Fire for 3D0 for $35, and while it was one of the best games on the system, it's just so readily available everywhere else that I couldn't bring myself to spend that much. Anyway, I saw some completely weird things too, like two model 2 Sega Master Systems, an Odyssey, a Tiger R-Zone Headgear, Atari 7800 Joypads (CX78), a PC Engine CoreGrafx II, copies of Alien Vs. Predator and Power Drive Rally for Jaguar (not for sale, else I'd've bought them), a Famicom Disk System, and probably a bunch of other weird stuff that I'm forgetting about... It was a good nerdy weekend :)

No comments: