Friday, April 10, 2009

Damnit!

I decided to re-install Windows XP on my workhorse PC, and swap-in a 256MB AGP GeForce 7800 GS (which was just lying around for the past few months or so) for the 64MB AGP GeForce3 Ti 200 that was in there. Everything went well except for two things:

1) I decided to install Windows XP SP3 from a redistributable package. Running it from my external drive extracted the temporary files to my external drive. Running it from the D: drive extracted the temporary files to my extrenal drive. Unplugging my external drive and running the package from the D: drive extracted the temporary files to the C: drive... Would've been nice if it just did something sensical like extract the temporary files to the drive it's running from. Weird, but no big deal.

2) The new video card couldn't start with the latest NVIDIA drivers (182.50). I checked the AGP aperture setting, but that was fine. After a few tweaks and driver un-/re-installations with no success, I went with the Windows Update NVIDIA drivers (178.13) and all is well... Grrr.

No comments: