Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Yeesh!

Wow, I just got a whole faceload of passive-aggressive admonishment from an executive assistant at work. I'd been asked to format their problematic computer, so I told them what to back-up, to let me know if there was anything they couldn't back-up, and gave them a time frame for the whole process. Unfortunately, the employee in need left early yesterday evening, and I wanted to get the imaging process going before I left for the night. While I didn't leave a note, I did leave further details with a colleague. Anyway, I was confronted today because Office wasn't there (actually, they just didn't recognise the icons on the desktop), Hotmail wasn't there (actually, they just didn't realise that one must actually type the URL of their non-work-related e-mail provider into the address bar of their web browser if it's not in the history), and they had to type entire e-mail addresses in Outlook (their AutoComplete data wasn't transferred over). I apologised for not leaving a note, but kept myself from suggesting that someone whose job involves working on a computer might want to familiarise themselves with working on a computer...

On a happier note, I played a Rock Band game for the first time last night. It was the PS3 version of Rock Band 2, and I sucked. Hammer-ons and pull-offs, regular guitar playing at any difficulty level, singing; it was all kicking my ass. The strange thing is that I sing as well as play guitar, bass, sax, and piano in various bands in real life, so this apparent failure was kinda disconcerting. It wasn't until I picked up the drums that I really noticed how off everything felt (though my friend was getting by well enough). She assured me she had set the delay for her TV, but said she'd try it again. I watched her strum along with the game, and she was anticipating every beat... By about 40ms, according to the game. Once I set the delay with the drum kit, we were both suddenly getting well over 90% on every song. We ended our impromptu marathon session by unlocking Everlong by Foo Fighters. I'm not much of a drummer in real life, but I wanted to see how that last song played on the "expert" difficulty settings... I didn't get very far ;) I did try the song on guitar on expert though, and got 91% my first time through :) So now I'm trying to decide what to do with these gift certificates I got over the holidays. I was leaning toward picking up the Limited Edition of Gears Of War 2 (to go with the Limited Edition of Gears Of War that was bought for me a few years ago), but now I'm thinking that money may be better spent on Rock Band 2...

No comments: