Friday, January 23, 2009

Ingenuity

I tried to fix my store-bought Virtual Boy, but one of the screws may be stripped... It's one of the more recessed screws, and i can't seem to get the bit to grab hold of it :( I'm gonna see if I can't find a really thin pen to melt over it.

I played through the demo for The Maw on XBOX Live Arcade, and it's pretty fun as well as very pretty. The visual style of the game reminds me of Kameo, if a bit narrower in scale. Seems like a pretty good deal at 800 Microsoft points, so I may unlock the full game eventually.

I ended up picking up those four Jaguar games I mentioned earlier. Attack Of The Mutant Penguins is surprisingly addictive. It's reminiscent of Lemmings, except that the goal is to kill all of the lemmings ;) As far as gripes go, some in-game music would've been nice, and the early levels can drag on at times. Then again, I suspect things will get much more hectic later on, so those slow parts may be welcome then. Bubsy In Fractured Furry Tails feels a lot like Zool 2, but the hit detection is questionable; coupled with one-hit deaths, things get awfully frustrating very quickly. I've read that the game can be a lot of fun with practice (Bubsy apparently has a few important techniques to master), so I'll give it another chance. The 2Mb version of Cybermorph is a little more polished than the 1Mb version, so that helps out an already solid game. Wolfenstein 3D is a unique port; probably the best-looking version since it has the most high-res sprites, new visual effects, runs smoothly at fullscreen, and incorporates more of a narrative to the experience. It's also visually darker than the 3D0 port (mostly on account of the brown floors), and it has longer levels. My only real complaint is that the controls are a little too floaty for my tastes. The 3D0's shoulder buttons are a godsend for strafing, and the CD soundtrack really makes a huge difference, but both ports of the game are solid. I feel kinda bad for opening factory-sealed Jaguar games, but really, I'd much rather play my games than just collect them.

No comments: