Thursday, September 13, 2007

Saving Money...

I finally got around to playing through the Project Sylpheed demo on my XBOX 360, and it was pretty sweet :) It's definitely worth going through the tutorials, and the game is as fast, frenetic, and pretty as any other good space shooter I can remember playing. There was some slowdown at one point, but overall it was enjoyable and intense; might pick it up if I see it on the cheap, but there didn't seem to be anything that made it a must-buy for me.

I also grabbed the Tony Hawk's Proving Ground demo, and it was a lot of fun as well. I've heard it being knocked for feeling like the original game with too many extras tacked-on, but I beg to differ. The new gameplay styles (aggressive "hardcore" skaters, creative and adventurous "riggers", and technique-oriented pros) are interesting albeit potentially unnecessary, but the new controls they incorporate into the game feel like things that should've always been there. Nail-The-Trick in Project 8 was a very welcome addition, and Proving Ground expands that further with Nail-The-Grab and Nail-The-Manual. The aggressive kick introduced by the hardcore skating style in the game is a feature I've been wanting since the beginning, and the free-roaming track-construction options the riggers bring seem to add a whole new game to the mix. I can see how the implementation of the riggers' track editor can pull players out of the game, but with some suspension-of-disbelief it can really add to the experience... Besides, would anyone really want to have a ramp-construction component in the game? Would it be fun to wait for an afternoon while your in-game persona put together a new rail? Nah, not so much. I don't think I'll be buying this one right away (still working on Project 8), but it does have enough interesting new stuff that I'll remember it down the road.

Oh, and apparently NHL 08 is the way to go over NHL2K8 this year on account of some poorly-implemented new controls on 2K Sports' part. Apparently, you can still play with the classic 2K control scheme, but I'll just stick to 2K7 on my original XBOX for that... That's $60 for either new game that I just don't really need to spend.

No comments: