Friday, September 28, 2007

Crashing The Bandicoot

Played the Crash Of The Titans demo on 360... I had really high hopes, but it didn't look as good as the screenshots I'd seen before, some of the effects were grainy, the gameplay wasn't nearly as fluid as the original PSOne games, and I found a lot of the camera angles to be awkward... Gabe seems to disagree with me, but I still play the original three, and didn't touch any of them after Warped. I also tried the FIFA 08 and Party Animals demos; they seem solid, likely enjoyable if your into those kinds of games.

I saw Marvel Ultimate Alliance Gold Edition for 360 for ~$30, so I picked that up the other day. I figured it was about to become a "Platinum Hit", so I wanted the original packaging. Unfortunately, I later read that the "Platinum Hit" version is to be called Marvel: Ultimate Alliance Enhanced. Damnit! That means it's prolly gonna have more cool characters that they'll try to get me to buy online... Ergh.

Picked-up Lost Planet for Windows now that I have a video card that can actually play it. It's very pretty, and it's fun despite being able to run past most of the enemies... I also grabbed the demo for Clive Barker's Jericho for Windows. It felt a little cheap, but I can't quite put my finger on why... Maybe it was the weak voice-over in the promo video, or the lacklustre menu, or the mindless AI... But it certainly is pretty, the gameplay holds a lot of potential, and if Undying is any indication, Clive Barker's touch is going to make this something special.

Oh, and here's a fun one: I can't seem to play DVDs in Windows Vista Business without resorting to some third party software. I was using nVidia PureVideo with my GeForce 6800, but Avivo for the Radeon X1950 Pro doesn't seem to do the trick. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I don't think so... There don't seem to be any instructions or downloads on AMD/ATi's site. In Windows XP, I could just grab the ATi DVD Decoder, but that doesn't work with Vista... Any ideas?

No comments: