Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Decisions and Finality

OpenOffice.org 2.3 is out. I've decided to use OOo in lieu of Microsoft Office 2007 due largely to the fact that my software supplier still hasn't provided me with a proper Microsoft product key. They did say they'd get back to me all those months ago, but then I haven't really followed-up :\ The dilemma I'm faced with now is that IBM has released Lotus Symphony Beta 1, and I am intrigued... More to come as the situation develops :)

Anyway, so, my brother really wanted to play BioShock, but his AGP Radeon X850 card didn't support the shader model version used in BioShock. He didn't feel like dropping $200+ on a stop-gap video card upgrade (opting rather to do a whole new build in the near future), so I gave him my GeForce 6800 and bought myself a 512MB AGP8X Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro for $199.99 CDN; the best AGP card my contacts at AMD/ATi could get was an X1650... Ugh. Anyway, the new card's very nice, and everything runs quite well (including BioShock at full detail at 1024x768); it also overclocks from 580/702 (GPU/RAM) to 621/742 pretty well so far. Oh, and while I am aware that there are independent projects out there to bring SM2.0 support to BioShock, they don't seem to be completely perfect just yet. The main point here is that his is the end of an era though; my main box is now as upgraded as it'll ever be... thankfully, aside from lacking DirectX10+ hardware support, it definitely still has legs :)

No comments: