Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Revolutionary

Played through the SEGA Rally Revo demo on XBOX 360 last night... It's a good game, very pretty, fluid controls, sports some unique features (dynamic ruts in the track!)... But it barely feels like a SEGA Rally game. I was able to place second and first in two three-lap races (unlike the checkpoint/stage races of the first two games in the series) on my first play-through. Just to make sure I hadn't become awesome at SEGA Rally since last playing, I popped SEGA Rally 2 into my Dreamcast, and then SEGA Rally into my Saturn... Nope, I still suck at them. Perhaps the Revo demo isn't fully indicative of the final product, but I'm a little disappointed that the franchise seems to have taken such a departure from its predecessors. Also, I think I still like DiRT a little better :)

Followed-up on that Microsoft Office 2007 product key today, and it seems that a replacement key was sent out about a month ago, but my contact with the supplier doesn't seem to have forwarded it to me... Wonderful :)

Finally, NHL 08 has me worried. Every game I've played so far has ended in either overtime or a shootout. The first few were tight, exciting games against evenly matched teams... Even though I did find myself having a few unlikely hero moments when I was behind. Then I took note of one game where I was playing a much weaker team and went-up 3-1 early in the game... They were able to tie things up in regulation, but both goals came during two very suspicious situations that saw my goalie wandering well out of his crease and staying there in high-pressure situations... And no, I wasn't controlling him. I'm afraid that NHL 08 is employing a system akin to NBA Jam's (and countless racing games') 'rubber band' scoring, where the team trailing is given an advantage to keep things exciting... Ugh.

No comments: