Saturday, October 07, 2006

Volcanoless?

Decided I'd had my fun with Vista RC1 Update, and finally got around to snagging a copy of SymphonyOS. SymphonyOS is a Linux distribution based on Debian with touches of Mozilla that aims to streamline the whole desktop computing experience. From the Orchestra development environment, through the Mezzo desktop environment (very cool; check it out), to the OneClick package installation "store", the result (still in BETA at this point) is very promising for general Linux desktop computing. I had no problems with the bootable CD version of the OS, but I couldn't get it to install properly on my hard drive. Luckily, Vista RC2 was released shortly thereafter, so I put Symphony and any associated frustrations on hold. RC2 (Build 5744) doesn't seem particularly different from RC1 Update (Build 5728); still runs just fine, looks very pretty, and Internet Explorer 7 has the same rendering issues (specifically with Google sites and Slashdot). I assume that the onus of driver support at this point is on the hardware manufacturers, so we'll see if Creative and SiS decide to let me use my existing hardware in Vista.

I've got a few service contracts in progress at the moment, but not enough time to get into them all at the moment, so I'll save that for my next update.

Oh, and I picked-up a 10dBi directional wireless antenna today... The wireless signal on my main machine is much more consistent now.

On the video game front, I picked-up the two N64 Zelda games (Ocarina Of Time, Majora's Mask) along with the RAM upgrade cart for a pretty reasonable price. I'd been meaning to do this for years now, but with the prices they were going for coupled with what I already had on my plate, the whole endeavour just didn't make sense. I also happened across a sealed copy of the original Katamari Damacy for PS2 for under $30... Had to pick that up :)

No comments: