Friday, October 27, 2006

If I were to build a computer today...

Every now and again I get to wondering what I'd buy if I were to do a major system upgrade right then and there. This time, I've decided to share:

65W AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ ($300)
ASUS M2R32-MVP ($180)
256MB ATi Radeon 1900 GT or XT ($270 vs $310)

...And the rest would probably remain pretty close to what I've already got. The 4600+ has similar performance to a Core 2 Duo 6400 for about the same price, so there's no need to jump on the Intel bandwagon there. The M2R32-MVP is based on ATi's Xpress 3200 chipset and offers fast and reliable performance, right up there with any Intel- or nVidia-based board. The video cards, while lagging ever so slightly behind comparable nVidia products in terms of FPS, offer a higher overall image quality. Also, if I ever want to try a CrossFire setup, the ATi-based motherboard will come in handy, but that's just even more wishful thinking. Besides, this setup keeps in line with the recent AMD-ATi buyout :)

Otherwise, I'd just keep what I have and buy a Mac Mini to play with; it'd cost about the same.

P.S. I love the spell-checker in Firefox 2.0!

No comments: