Saturday, October 21, 2006

I only have time for a quickie...

IE7's out. I like it. Give it a try if you're on Windows XP or 2003. Hey, did anyone notice that the IE7 version number in XP (7.0.5730.11) is earlier than the one in Vista RC2 (7.0.5744.16384)? Exciting, no? No, not really.

I was doing some shopping for a friend's upcoming baby shower, and made a few stops while I was out. I came home with a McDonald's Cripsy Chicken Sandwich (had a coupon for a free large sandwich; decided to try the most expensive thing they had), a humidifier (for the babies; she's having twins), The Warriors (XBOX; it was cheap), and DooM 64. The sandwich was okay, the humidifer was on the registry, The Warriors doesn't like my XBOX (what else is new), and DooM 64 is a whole lot of fun. It would be nice if DooM 64 saved your control and brightness settings (you thought DooM 3 was dark? Hell, they don't even give you a flashlight in this one!), but it's a minor annoyance.

Before I go, a quick update on my Zelda progress: I finished Ocarina Of Time the other day, and it was a lot of fun. Not as much fun as I've ever had with a game, or even a Zelda game (Link's Awakening is still my favourite), but definitely a solid title worth anyone's time. I'm now getting into Majora's Mask. If the introductory chapter is any indication, this is definitely going to be my kind of video game. For anyone who hasn't played the game, the entire story takes place over three days, and time passes pretty quickly; the time travel aspects of the previous Zelda game return in Majora's Mask, however, so things promise to be interesting. It seems as though the more original gameplay aspects of Ocarina Of Time (music, masks, time) have been streamlined and augmented to have a greater effect on the core gameplay and not just the plot and sidequests. What really stands-out above all else, though, is the presentation. This game requires the N64 RAM expansion, but doesn't just toss in more and higher-quality textures to the same old game engine; instead, we're treated to some really creative cinematography, characterization, visual effects, and sounds. The result of this more ambitious approach is a very effective visual and aural storytelling component of the game. They're all ultimately little things, as the game still remains true to the Zelda franchise, but they definitely make a very welcome difference. So, I still need to pick up Ages, Seasons, Minish Cap, and Wind Waker, as well as replay Zelda and Link (I'm thinking the GBA re-issues), but I'm making progress ;) By the time I'm done with those, Wii, Twilight Princess, and Phantom Hourglass should all be readily available.

No comments: