Monday, October 30, 2006

Grrr...

NHL2K7 does not remove injured players until after the game is over. Perhaps this is common knowledge for hockey video game enthusiasts, but I'm a few years out of the loop and somewhat surprised (though it does make sense when one considers such factors as player-specific stats, textures, and audio clips being loaded per game rather than manipulated in real-time). Also, I no longer trust my XBOX; it crashed with another dirty/damaged disc error as I was saving my profile, and corrupted the file in the process. I lost all of my settings and achievements... Luckily, the season data is stored in a separate file. Since I'd rather not risk my season data or (potentially?) the integrity of my hard drive, nor would I enjoy resorting to saving everything twice (once to a memory card, just in case), a new XBOX is in order.

On a brighter note, I'd had my fun with Windows Vista RC2, so I replaced it with Ubuntu 6.10. It was very nice, very fast, and seemed to do everything right... So where's the fun in that? :) I'm back on Debian (3.1 rev3) here, and I think I'll keep it this way for a while. The "Desktop Environment" option in tasksel does what I need without too much bloat, and all I had to do afterwards was add Gaim and BitTorrent, edit XFree86 to allow higher resolutions, and set-up a static IP. Anyway, here're a couple of interesting things I've discovered over the past couple of days: The "ati" driver that comes with most Linux distributions performs a hell of a lot better with my Radeon 8500 than the final ATi-distributed "fglrx" driver that supported it, and the full ISO image of Debian 3.1 rev3 didn't seem to include "Desktop Environment" in tasksel. Annoying, eh? Yeah, I swapped the Radeon 8500 (AGP4x) from my Athlon XP 2200+ machine (AGP8x board) for the GeForce 6200 (AGP8x) in this one (AGP4x board).

One more thing, about the CD/DVD suites: GEAR PRO is very nice, but I've still got a few small gripes. I did, however, remember one suite that I'd forgotten about before: SlySoft's "Clone" products. It's been a while since I've used them, but I remember good things. More on this next time...

No comments: