Sunday, October 22, 2006

I'm right pissed-off...

Silly me, I bought a game on a whim while out with a friend today. The details of this shopping trip aren't important, but rest assured, I want my money back. Unfortunately, there are generally no returns on opened software, plus my friend had the receipt... and threw it out. Fuck.

The game in question is Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition for Windows, and boy, did QA fuck-up on this one. The price was right (under $20), the packaging was nice, the game installed without issue (barring the fact that it came on five CDs), and things looked really sharp at 1152x864; better than they ever did on the game's native PS2 platform.

Here's the problem: The controls are painful. No, they quite literally hurt one's body. The game automatically maps the player movement to the right analog stick. Yes, the one on the right, which is, in fact, the wrong analog stick. Oh, and no, there's no way to change it. I did some research on the issue, and it is apparently not uncommon at all. It's so not uncommon that either Capcom or Ubisoft (I'm not sure which, as I can't find it on either company's site) quietly released a patch that addresses this, as well as other issues. Unfortunately, the patch still doesn't support a number of popular controllers from major manufacturers, including my XBOX 360 controller. So my options are to either map the keyboard movement keys to the left analog stick using third-party software, or play with the keyboard. The latter would seem to be the simplest solution, but a fast-paced brawler simply does not translate well to a keyboard. Apparently there are other issues of crashes, slowdown, and missing effects... Wheee!!!

I really wish I'd checked-out the reviews for the PC version before buying it, but I just figured that since the PS2 version was so universally loved, I couldn't lose! Maybe I can get a good trade-in value or something... Guh.

No comments: