Saturday, October 03, 2009

Is there really a need?

I've been trying to figure out which PSP Need For Speed game is the best...

Underground: Rivals is a pure arcade racer; Most Wanted: 5-1-0 adds police; Carbon: Own The City adds a really lame narrative, teammates, and an open city to drive through; ProStreet throws everything previous out the window and makes a really impressive sim that is particularly challenging and looks gorgeous; Undercover is an hideous atrocity; Shift is like Rivals except that it doesn't occur exclusively at night and has some decent weather effects that significantly affect the gameplay.

So which is the best? I dunno. Aside from Undercover, they're all pretty solid. ProStreet is the most impressive of the bunch, but is it worth our time now that Gran Turismo is available? Rivals and Shift offer a lot of fun, but with games like Ridge Racer and MotorStorm out there, do they offer anything unique aside from the tuning aspect? It seems like 5-1-0 and Carbon are the two that really carve a solid niche for themselves, but even then, they have a lot in common with the PSP Burnout games.

Personally, I've had the most fun with ProStreet, with Shift/Rivals and 5-1-0/Carbon taking second or third, depending on whether I want to race mindlessly or race mindlessly with the police.

Moving on, I now have Leopard installed on my Mac, and while it feels a little sluggish compared to Tiger in the visual effects department, it's running really well. I can't wait 'til I find more RAM and a better video card for this thing; the best I can find right now for a reasonable price is a 64MB GeForce4 MX...

No comments: