Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Closure...?

While testing out alternate video cards (an AGP GeForce 7800, an AGP GeForce3, and a PCI ATi Mach64) in my Pentium 4 machine, I noticed one bulging capacitor that is normally obscured from view by anything in the AGP slot... I'm going with bad motherboard as the official cause of all of my recent startup problems. I've since mixed 'n matched things around here to end up with the following:
  • Athlon XP 3200+
  • DFI NFII Ultra Infinity
  • 2GB DDR400 (dual channel)
  • 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro
  • 80GB + 320GB SATA
  • M-Audio FireWire Solo
  • Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
So it's a bit of a downgrade from my 3.6GHz Pentium 4 + 865PE setup, but it's solid... And, somewhat surprisingly for older hardware, runs Windows Vista without a hitch! Anyway, I have an old Biostar U8668-D motherboard (533MHz FSB) and a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 lying around here; with a gigabyte of RAM and an old GeForce3 (passive cooling), it should make a solid downloading box.

I hate to see a sweet CPU like my Prescott go to waste, but I just can't bring myself to spend any more money on that generation of parts... Though I did just find a listing for an ASUS P4V8X-MX for $15 on criagslist ;)

No comments: