Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"VS"

I recently picked up copies of Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars for SNES, Capcom Vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000 Pro for Dreamcast (Japanese; only released for PSX in North America), and a Dreamcast-to-Neo Geo Pocket Color link cable. I got the link cable for only $5, but I wasn't completely sure of what it was, and neither was the clerk at the shop. I was pretty confident that I recognised the plug for the DC's serial port, and the cable's part number (NEOP22020) just about assured me that it was indeed a NGPC product. When I asked the clerk if that's what it might be though, he insisted that it wasn't, since he has a Dreamcast... So I bit my tongue and said I'd take it anyway. I got a little frustrated when I couldn't make Capcom Vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000 (the North American release) work with SNK Vs. Capcom: Match Of The Millennium, and documentation for that process was just about nonexistant online. Every erticle and forum post talked about what games could be linked, but not how to do it... The DC end of things seemed simple enough, but I scoured the NGPC's system settings, MOTM's set-up menu, records, minigames, and so on, and found nothing to get the other end of the process going. Of course, I didn't bother to explore the "VS MODE" menu, thinking that since it's a fighting game, it had something to do with multiplayer. Well, it does have something to do with multiplayer, but it also has something to with DC connections... I had to check out another shop on my lunch break to read the manual from their boxed copy of MOTM to figure that out :\

Here's the most complete list of linkable titles I could find.

Oh, and Utopia 1.3 doesn't seem to like booting certain just-purchaed, imported from Japan, Dreamcast games with the VGA box... But GameShark's CDX v3.3 does the trick nicely.

I finished God Of War: Chains Of Olympus yesterday. It was kind of short and very generous with save points, but it still felt like a full-blown console game! The graphics really are breathtaking, locales are varied, and the gameplay is straight out of the console God Of War titles. Definitely a showcase piece for the PSP,  God Of War is certainly worth playing; just don't expect something as epic as its bigger brothers on the PS2.

Anyway, in other news, a 125W AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition is looking better and better each time I have to boot my PC twice before I can use it :\

No comments: