Monday, October 27, 2008

Damn

Crysis: Warhead and Far Cry 2 don't run particularly well on my system when I turn the graphics options up to anything decent. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky does, but only if I turn the fancy lighting effects off. I'm looking to pick up a second guitar, and maybe a bass, and my router blew up last night... So building a mostly new PC (CPU, RAM, motherboard, and video card are gonna add up to ~$1000) isn't really an ideal prospect for me right now. I have enough older PC games and stuff on my consoles to keep me entertained for a while though, so no real rush.

Speaking of my PC, I noticed that various DMA functions had been turned off in the BIOS settings. I'm not sure when that happened, but perhaps that had something to do with the start-up issues. I also told Vista to stop powering down my hard drives after 20 mintues... And so the investigation continues.

So anyway, yeah, my router died. My trusty SMC 2804WBRP-G just quit on me... Well, okay, it was never particularly trusty, but it sure was pretty and did its job well enough for a number of years. I tried plugging it back in and it worked for a few more hours, but then it died again and all I could get out of it after that was a faint glimmer of green from the power LED. I'm currently using an Asanté FR3000-series router that was collecting dust at my place. Yup, a router with a two-port switch and 802.11b WiFi that uses a 16-bit PCMCIA wireless card as its antenna... Sweeet. Okay, so it's actually really solid, but streaming video doesn't work so well. I stopped by a few local shops on my lunch break today, and managed to snag the only Linksys WRT300N I could find in some 11 stores; either they really suck and nobody's stocking them, or they're far more in demand than the comparable D-Link products that seem to be plentiful everywhere. The one I found is a V1.1 model, so it's very similar to the 310 save for the physical design and the gigabit switch... The switch would've been some nice futureproofing (though not used any time soon), but I really don't dig the new design so much.

No comments: