Tuesday, October 07, 2008

"Speed... It's a freaky thing"

I lucked out and got Battletoads, Yoshi's Island, Need For Speed, and Return Fire! The Genesis version of Battletoads is way better looking than the NES version I remember so fondly... And is just as frickin' difficult! Damned "Turbo Tunnel" :\ Anyway, Yoshi's Island is still one of the best games on any system ever, but the 3D0 versions of Need For Speed and Return Fire have not aged quite so well. The 3D0 controller is atrocious for both games, Need For Speed's car textures are a real step down from the DOS version, and Return Fire's framerate is inconsistent at best. Oh, and I'd completely forgotten about your opponent in Need For Speed; he's unintentionally hilarious! In addition to being a prime example of some of the worst trends from the early '90s (hair, fashion, slang), he had to deliver some pretty ridiculous lines (such as the title of this post, and "you waxed my ass"). Regardless, they're still playable and ultimately enjoyable, so I managed to pick up four classic games today, and that makes me happy :)

No comments: