Sunday, April 13, 2008

Stuff 'n Junk

Downloaded the Army Of Two and SEGA Superstars Tennis demos for XBOX 360. The former requires two players (which I didn't have at that point in time), and I don't really like the shot controls in the latter... Though that may change with more experience. Hrm, guess I shouldn't've bothered mentioning either yet :)

Anyway, I picked up Assassin's Creed for Windows, and yes, it really does seem to require a dual-core CPU. It actually runs pretty well with decent graphics settings on my single-core CPU, but then starts to chug after maybe a minute. If I change even the refresh rate, the sluggishness disappears... For another minute or so :\ I'm guessing that it's more of a design issue rather than a capability thing. The game was designed for the multi-core processors of the XBOX 360 and PS3, and I'm guess that Ubisoft didn't think it was worth their time to rewrite the engine from scratch just to accommodate li'l old me. Funny thing: Since uninstalling Assassin's Creed, my computer has twice failed to POST and once failed to find an OS on my hard drive. I've run memory and hard drive tests, but have found nothing wrong. Hrmmm...

In other news, I recently discovered that if you have a Seagate or Maxtor hard drive attached to your computer, you are eligible to download and use a Seagate-branded copy of Acronis True Image 10. That's a pretty sweet deal, kids. Also, I'm considering picking up one of these, though I'm not sure if the $22 premium for a FireWire400 port is necessary for my needs.

No comments: