Friday, April 11, 2008

Business As Usual

Recent developments:

Picked up Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection. Played the first one on Windows, never finished the second on account of the XBOX version's sketchy control scheme, and never played the third because I never finished the second.

Finally made some progress in Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters. Luna wasn't that hard to beat, but it was just so frustrating to have to replay all of those preceding mindless minigames each time that I never wanted to try more than once or twice at a time. The following levels aren't proving to be much more fun, as I'm learning that the game rewards failure... Even if you keep dying, your character and weapon stats (and your bolts, if you're careful) increase, ultimately making things easier the more you fail. It's a clever system, but I'm not sure that I enjoy it a whole lot.

I didn't bother to re-install any of the three latest Need For Speed games after my Vista SP1 upgrade, and I don't seem to be missing them... The later police chases in Most Wanted were getting ridiculous (and time-consuming), ProStreet was fun but wasn't really holding my interest... A little too much seriousness in my Need For Speed :\ I may throw Carbon back on though, just because it's simple, over-the-top ridiculousness.

I did put Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 on though, and that's been fun... Frustrating, starting out with a new golfer, but ultimately pretty fun. I'll probably be picking up the Windows version of Assassin's Creed soon as well, which may or may not run on my single-core PC. Worst-case scenario, it'll run nicely on either of my brother's machines, so they can enjoy it.

Oh, and I hooked an APC Back-UPS 400 up to my downloading/burning/service PC. I got the UPS for free, and figured I might as well put it to use... Though I have no idea how long it'll last under that kind of load; hopefully at least a few minutes :)

No comments: