Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I thought you'd changed!

Ubisoft really aren't doing themselves any favours with Assassin's Creed...

I'm rarely an early adopter, and when I heard there'd be a Windows port of the game, I opted to hold off on the console versions and wait. After hearing about the new gameplay features of the Windows port, I even passed on a sale of the 360 version ($30 off). When I tried my brother's copy of the game on my single-core Windows machine to see if the dual-core requirements were true, I found out that while the game is sluggish, it is artificially so because of the 'phone home' DRM. Disabling my Internet connection worked wonders to improve performance (the game is actually playable now), but the game still isn't super smooth at higher settings and is ugly as sin on lower settings. So I've decided to go back to the 360 version, but I'm tempted to hold off in case there's a re-release with the new PC content...

I think I'm just gonna go and find a used copy of the 360 version and hope for some new downloadable content over Live... That'll be my screw you to Ubisoft; I get to play their pretty game, and they fail to profit from me ;) The StarForce-laden Windows versions of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Prince Of Persia: The Two Thrones hurt me bad, but this one may leave some scars. Bad form, my Canadian brethren... Bad form.

No comments: