Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I'm a Slacker...

I think I've worked out all of the kinks and growing pains from my move to the Athlon XP 3200+ system. Windows XP gave me little issue, but PC-BSD 1.4.1.1 would reboot during start-up (even in safe mode) and Debian 4.0 testing releases would hang during package installation... So I decided to give Slackware another go with version 12.0. Installation was smooth, setting up the proprietary NVIDIA drivers was a breeze, configuring the mouse and monitor in X.Org was straightforward, and KDE 3.5's Control Center made tweaking a simple affair. Upgrading everything else using pkgtool was pretty intuitive (and similar to PC-BSD's PBI system), but a little less elegant than Debian's APT package manager. I'm glad I gave Slackware another chance and put a little more effort into it this time, as it's definitely now on my list of recommended distributions.

Elsewhere, I've finished Crysis, and I'm glad to be done with it. The final few levels were dull while still feeling rushed, the story arc reminded me too much of Halo, and really, they'd just lost me somewhere along the way and I didn't really care what happened... I just wanted to be done with it.

Finally, I remembered what I'd wanted to mention in my last post: Bell has apparently upgraded my neighbourhood to a fibre-optic network, so I'm no longer paying for a 3Mbps connection that's throttled to 1.5Mbps because of my location... I now get pretty consistent download rates up around 500kBps :) They say my service tier can go as high as 7Mbps, but I won't hold my breath.

No comments: