Monday, July 23, 2007

Demos 'n stuff...

I recently downloaded and played-through demos for The Bigs, Blue Dragon, The Darkness, and Stuntman: Ignition on XBOX 360. The Bigs didn't really resonate with me, as I was hoping for something more along the lines of NBA Jam or NFL Blitz; what I found didn't feel terribly different from MLB 2K7. Blue Dragon felt like a solid RPG with pretty graphics and a fun approach to combat, but it didn't really grab me... Then again, the demo offered little in the way of plot. The darkness was good visceral fun with really nice graphics and some cool twists to FPS gameplay; the level of immersion was right up there with the best of the genre. Stuntman is very pretty, a lot of fun, and just the right kind of frustrating; it didn't feel quite as impressive as the videos I'd seen online, but it's a good buy if the price is right. I also grabbed Juiced 2 and Project Sylpheed, but haven't spent any time with them yet...

On PSP, I've finished LocoRoco and Puzzle Quest, and both are must-buys. LocoRoco really is unlike anything you've played before and features amazingly endearing characters and music. Puzzle Quest, whether you own a PSP or a Nintendo DS is a fantastic RPG/puzzle game that'll keep anyone entertained for weeks, and constantly coming back for more. I've since moved-on to finishing Daxter and Crush, but I also picked-up the recent PSP re-release of the PSOne classic PaRappa The Rapper! I've been waiting for years to play that game, and it completely lived-up to my expectations. It's short (only six songs) and silly, but holy crap are the songs catchy! I just picked-up the soundtracks to both PaRappa 1 and 2 :)

Recent computer fixes have consisted of replacing a blown PSU (smoke 'n everything, apparently!), spending hours recovering digital photos from a SATA laptop hard drive sporting a corrupt filesystem, a bad power connector on another laptop, and a bad power adapter on yet another. Luckily, that last laptop is still under warranty.

Ooh, and my RAM upgrades arrived last week! My main system now has 2GB of DDR400 RAM running in dual-channel mode, my second system has 1GB, and the rest will be distributed throughout the family's desktops (currently running in 1GB and 512MB configurations).

No comments: