Thursday, August 02, 2007

ENOS Lives, URNOTE... The "E" should be red :)

I finally got to spend some quality time with a PS3... Hooked-up to a 70" 1080p Sony rear-projection HDTV (via HDMI) and a 6.1 digital audio receiver :) The guy who owned the setup didn't have any full games, but he did have a bunch of demos (and I downloaded a few more while I was there). I played Blast Factor (kinda a lot like Geometry Wars; not necessarily a bad thing), Full Auto 2 (prettier and more full-featured than it's XBOX 360 predecessor), Gran Tourismo HD Concept (same old; very pretty), Heavenly Sword (God Of War, but less good!), MotorStorm (it opened with one of my favourite Nirvana songs, Breed :) ), Ninja Gaiden Sigma (like the XBOX game, but with more stuff and better lighting), Resistance (*yawn*), Ridge Racer 7 (it's Ridge Racer), and Virtua Tennis 3 (same as the 360 demo, but with more options and opponents). The menu system was the same as the PSP's, and everything was pretty solid and intuitive. The 60GB systems are available for $549 CDN at the moment, with add-on deals like MotorStorm for $20 or Enchanted Arms for $0.01, but I'm still in no rush to blow that kind of money... I wouldn't knock anyone for owning one though; Sony's got a solid platform with a lot of potential there; I could stand to have the install and load times a bit shorter though.

Moving on, I've been sick for the past week, and so I started a new career in Top Spin 2. This is the first time I've played it since it crashed during my first career tournament and saved my game with a loss recorded. Ergh. Well, I'm having a lot more fun this time, and the load times seem to be way more bearable (was there a software update?), and no more crashes. So far it's a lot of fun, if a touch easy, but still challenging enough to keep me interested. I just hope it's not like Virtua Tennis 3 (on PSP, anyway) where the opponents suddenly get frustratingly hard as you get to the upper rankings.

On an entirely unrelated note, when I last worked as a regular service technician, I was told about a data recovery company to refer certain desperate clients to. I'd heard stories of $400/hr bills, but never got any solid numbers back myself. Well, that corrupt filesystem I mentioned last time wasn't satisfied with the handful of digital camera images I'd managed to recover, so I sent him their way. He came back to me saying they had "good" news; that they could recover most of his stuff, and that it would be cheap! Only $850! :)

No comments: