Saturday, July 14, 2007

Updates!

My main computer's fine and everything's back up and running on Windows XP there, the 2GB of RAM has shipped and should be here early in the week, and I decided to replace Debian with PC-BSD on my second machine for the time being.

Installation of PC-BSD was a breeze, but I did run into one problem upon the first boot. The system would freeze just after loading the drivers for my PCI SoundBlaster Live! card. I was able to get things going in "safe mode", and I noticed that it was also trying to load drivers for my motherboard's integrated audio chip even though it was disabled in the BIOS. I enabled the onboard audio and reinstalled the OS, and it installed no sound drivers. Sweet :\ So I grabbed the SoundBlaster drivers from the PC-BSD website, re-disabled onboard audio in the BIOS, and now everything's peachy. I'm using Opera to browse the web and, well, that's about it, but it's pretty nice! KDE is about the same as I remembered it and still not my preferred GUI, but it's pretty and functional. PC-BSD's package system, while not quite as self-contained as those found in some other OS offerings, is still pretty slick and really easy to use; of the Linux/BSD distros I've played with, it's probably most akin to Slackware's system. The only real gripe I have so far is that Flash 7 seems to be a little sketchy, and in this YouTube world, that just makes things slightly more annoying :)

Also, XBOX 360's backwards compatibility has been updated again! They fixed Jet Set Radio Future and SEGA GT 2002, and now I can play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and Project Gotham Racing 1 and 2! Wheee! :)

No comments: