Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Sorry, been busy...

Finished Kameo; that was fun. Very, very pretty, but nothing stupendous. Tried to get into Perfect Dark Zero, but it's just not doing it for me. It's also a very, very pretty game, but I can't find aiming settings that feel good, and some aspects of the game design just don't make a lot of sense. For example, certain parts are just needlessly frustrating, and restarting the whole mission (you can't use checkpoints if you want your stats to be recorded) isn't my idea of fun. I'll finish it eventually, but I think most of my attention will now shift towards my PS2 and God Of War, followed by either Bully or Resident Evil 4... And then maybe Jak 3; I think I'm gonna hold-off on Okami, Enchanted Arms, and Final Fantasy IX for a few months until I have some actual free time to devote to them.

Things have been pretty quiet on the PC gaming front for a while now, but that's mostly because Project: Snowblind is just kinda boring and I've hit a particularly frustrating point right near the end of Most Wanted. I think I just might give-up on the former and start something more interesting. For the time being, however, I picked-up the two new Sam & Max games! I'm only just starting Culture Shock, but so far, so good.

Anyway, moving on, Slackware 11 didn't do it for me. It was nice; most notably, LILO and Xfce were interesting changes. The installer was very helpful with its descriptions, and the whole process was relatively smooth. Perhaps I was just missing something in Xfce, but things seemed to be pretty terminal-oriented, and packages were handled differently. No real complaints though; it seems like a solid distribution of Linux and I can see why so many people like it. After spending some quality time as a slacker, I decided to bite the bullet and grab Debian 4.0 RC1. Oh man, is this ever an upgrade! The new GUI for the installer is slick, the new themes are gorgeous, the packages are much more up-to-date, and so far everything just works! I still had to edit the X.Org configuration file myself to add my monitor's refresh settings, and I installed Flash and Java manually, but everything's great! Flash 9 actually works really well on here too! All I use my Windows machines for now is gaming, audio production, and burning program-specific disc image files :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

go with re4 dude.

i love the fact you're playing through the zelda games. good call. i just picked up TP and it's great. if you need to borrow WW or MC let me know.

- ian