Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Follow-up...

Got a friend's G4 iBook fixed, and for payment I swapped my SNES with hers. She doesn't own any cartridges that use the extra connectors, so she'll never notice the difference. Wheee! Now I can play StarFox!

I also picked-up Perfect Dark (N64), Beyond Oasis (Genesis), and Skies Of Arcadia (Dreamcast). Perfect Dark's kinda cool so far, but I've only played the first level; I still need to see how it plays in 16:9 high-resolution with surround sound and two analog controllers. Beyond Oasis is one of my favourite action-RPGs (alongside it's Saturn sequel, Legend Of Oasis), and the best competition SEGA's ever had for Zelda. Skies Of Arcadia is kinda hard to find (and impossible to properly back-up) while apparently being one of the best RPGs in recent memory, so it seemed like a smart buy. Unfortunately, it doesn't really work. It froze during the second battle the first time I played it, and wouldn't even load after restarting. There are some strange markings on the disc's surface, which leads me to believe that the previous owner tried to buff-out the scratches with a CD resurfacer. That's really a shame because Dreamcast GD-ROMs are a touch more sensitive than regular CD-ROMs. Time to see if I can get a refund, or find someone with a Game Doctor (I have a set of Dreamcast-specific resurfacing wheels).

Hey, here's a fun one: I just finished fixing a Windows 2000 machine that had somehow been compromised. The computer itself was set as a restricted site, and because Explorer is used to access the file system as well as the Control Panel, the computer was kinda useless. All scans came-up clean, and I had access to some functions in Safe Mode, but things were pretty far gone. Long story short, I was able to back-up the important data and perform a clean OS installation. Fun.

No comments: