Thursday, August 28, 2008

Knights 'n Geckos

I forgot to buy Castle Crashers yesterday. Sure, I got home late the night before, had sort of a long day at work, zoned out when I got home, and had to head out in the evening to catch a local show, but still... I forgot to buy Castle Crashers!!! What the hell!? I've been more excited about that game than just about any other current-generation release, and I just plain forgot about it!

Well, I'll take care of that when I get home this evening, but until then, I'd like to reminisce about Gex. Remember Gex? He's that smart-assed gecko (voiced by The Simpsons writer and voice actor Dana Gould) who seemed poised to be the 3D0's mascot... Kinda like how Rayman seemed poised to be the Jaguar's mascot. Anyway, during my recent tours of independent game stores and flea markets, I stumbled across copies of Gex for 3D0 and PlayStation (but sadly not Saturn, else I'd have probably picked it up) and remembered always wanting to play it but never having the right system. Rather than buy the PlayStation version (or a 3D0 and the 3D0 version) on an impulse, I opted to do some research... And found out that there was a Windows port! Thinking back now, I'm sure I've seen the Windows version on discount racks before, but I guess it didn't have the same impact of seeing the old console version boxes. So I managed to hunt down a copy of the Windows version (runs great on XP SP3; no so much on Vista), and while it's not as pretty as I recall, it seems like a really solid platformer so far!

Up next on my list of old games that I always wanted to play but never got around to tracking down: Pandemonium! I'm also still considering copies of Loaded and Space Hulk 2 that I saw for Saturn...

No comments: