Monday, April 09, 2007

Well I'll be...

Remember that iMac I posted about, like two posts down? Sure you do :) Well, that little bugger tore a hole in my home network's MAC filter! My brother was over yesterday and tried to connect wirelessly with his Archos video player, and got in just fine... What the hell!? I went to check the router settings to see if I'd messed anything up as I had been updating the list of accepted MAC addresses for my PSP. Nope, all was well. I'm not sure of exactly what happened, but it turns-out that the iMac was never released from the MAC filter (even though I had deleted it) or the DHCP pool (I leave two IP addresses available with half-hour lease times for visitors that have been added to the MAC filter), and the Archos device was able to access the network without a hitch. I had to perform a soft-reset on the router to fix the issue. I don't know if this was because of the iMac, Mac OS 9, the SMC router, or the Archos device, but still... Interesting.

So the PSP is pretty sweet. Memory Stick Duos are expensive (the cheapest 4GB I've found is like $118 CDN), Mind Quiz, Loco Roco, Puzzle Quest, Lumines, and both Virtua Tennis games are all pretty great, the web browser and cell-phone-like text entry aren't that bad, and video playback is nice... But man, looking back at old prices, firmware, and software selection, I would've been pissed as an early adopter.

No comments: