Thursday, June 07, 2007

What I've learned from a day with Vista...

Windows Vista serves me about as well as Linux does. It's really good for web browsing, instant messaging, multimedia playback, and general optical media burning. It just works out of the box after a little set-up (drivers, programs), it's relatively secure, and it supports most of my hardware. Also like Linux, it's not great for gaming at the moment, doesn't support certain specific optical disk image formats, and it doesn't support some of my more purpose-specific hardware. The only real issues I've had with it so far have been in the form of the odd skip in MP3 playback through Windows Media Player and having a bitch of a time getting the Boot Configuration Data store (Vista's boot.ini replacement) to work with my old XP installation (in the same computer, on a separate hard drive). So no real show-stoppers yet, and it seems like a solid every-day desktop computing platform... I also thought it was cute how Vista Business doesn't install the packed-in games by default :) I'm excited about Vista though, especially after learning more about what's actually new about it. Ars Technica has published the first two parts of their three-part in-depth look at Vista, and it's a good read that shows just how much promise Vista has.

I haven't spent much time with Office 2007 yet, but it sure does look pretty, and I like the new menu system... I'll be back with more once they send me an Office product key that actually works :\

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brent. I'm so happy you love software. It means you can teach me all sorts of things. Vista sounds all sorts of fun, since I don't do games, and I like it when you say pretty.


Kathleen