Saturday, August 19, 2006

Muthafuckin' Strife on my muthafuckin' PC!!!

While I was out purchasing a DVD burner for a system I'm building, I happened across a fine collection of *ahem* classic PC games. Most were $9.00~$19.00, and brought back many fond memories. I decided to pick-up Lemmings Revolution ($9.00), and as I went up to the counter to pay, I noticed Strife... Sealed, in the box, perfect condition, and only $7.00!!!

You wouldn't believe how giddy I was about this. Strife is right up there with games like Clive Barker's Undying and Psychonauts as one of the most overlooked gems in gaming history. Built around the DooM engine, Strife was one of the better first-person action-RPGs I can remember playing in the '90s, and it's still great fun to play today.

It took me a while to get it running properly in Windows XP (everything was smooth except for the sound effects; they were unbearably choppy) because VDMSound just wasn't doing its thing. I ended-up having to resort to Vavoom, which is still somewhat unstable. I'm downloading ZDoom as I write this, to see if it fares any better.

No comments: