Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Mad Cheddar!

The last two parts came today, and OS installation went smoothly... And so it is with great pleasure that I present to you all, the most fantastic computer I have ever built:
  • Intel® Core™2 Duo E6700
  • Asus P5W DH Deluxe (Intel 975X-based) Motherboard
  • nVidia Quadro FX 3500 256MB GDDR3
  • Two OCZ DDR2-1000 PC2-8000 Platinum XTC 2GB Dual Channel Kits (4GB Total)
  • Two 250GB SATAII 7200RPM w/16MB Buffer WD Caviar HDDs (500GB Total)
  • Pioneer DVR-111D 16x DL DVD+/-RW
  • Antec TruePower 2.0 TPII-550 PSU
  • Antec Titan 550 Case
  • G-RAID 3-Port FireWire 800 PCI
  • Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Sadly, no, this computer is not for me, but rather for a consulting contract I accepted a few weeks ago. This was my first encounter with a Quadro, as well as with Windows XP x64, but it was nothing too crazy... Well, unless you count paying somewhere in the neighbourhood of $2000 CDN for a video card crazy ;)

On a completely unrelated note, I found myself in Oshawa, Ontario earlier in the week, and I picked-up Outcast (PC) and Wild 9 (PSOne) at a local new & used game shop. These are both games that I missed for various reasons back in their day (due to high system requirements, not having a PSOne; stuff like that), but have definitely stood the test of time as solid titles. Outcast still looks pretty good for a seven-year-old game (I blame the high prduction values as well as the innovative use of voxels), and Wild 9 is just mindless fun :)

Oh, and a quick update on my last post: ZDoom runs Strife much better, although it does conflict with certain (trivial) aspects of the standalone game, and doesn't offer the same nifty 3D-accelerated effects of some of the other front-ends. Still, it's Strife, it works, and it's great fun.

No comments: