Tuesday, July 14, 2020

27 Years Young

Got bored and dug-out my old Digital Equipment Corporation DECpc LPx:
  • Intel 486DX2-66
  • 16MB of RAM
  • 2MB ATi Graphics Ultra Pro (VLB)
  • Sound Blaster 16
  • 365MB HDD
Went for a clean installation of MS-DOS 6.22 and a copy of PKZIP, and I've just sort of been installing old games and playing with drivers... And it's been kind of wonderful. All of it was much simpler than I remember things being back then, but I guess I did end-up making a career of it since. I have 250MB and 1.3GB HDDs to test-out in there as well, but no rush. Had to replace the 3.5" FDD (it wasn't reading disks), and I disconnected the 5.25" FDD to connect the CD-ROM drive that came with the SB16; it detects properly, but doesn't spin :( Getting things from the Internet onto floppies has been a bit of an adventure, but well worth it in these mostly-housebound times :)

Also, Ion Fury is really good.

No comments: