Friday, November 16, 2007

That was embarassing...

Well, I've finally lost a game in my NHL08 season... It was to the Rangers, a 3-0 shutout. All of their goals came on funny bounces from star players, and their goalie was eerily unbeatable. I tried a few exhibition games on the hardest difficulty level (I've been playing on the second-hardest), and while I lost both, they were close. It seems as though the opposition's defence makes the real difference, taking away a lot of one-timer opportunities. Regardless of any of that, I'm having fun with it, and that's what matters :)

I picked-up Crackdown, Earth Defense 2017, and Carcassone for XBOX 360 for $25, $15, and free (in celebration of XBOX Live's fifth birthday), respectively. I like Carcassone, Earth Defense 2017 seems a pretty boring third-person shooter (friends had raved to me about how fun it is, but I'm just not seeing it; fun mindless games are like DooM, Serious Sam, and Painkiller... this just feels cheap), and Crackdown became my obsession for about two days. Crackdown really gets the open gameplay concept right, basically giving players a huge playground to mess around in. Achievements are fun, the story is passable and completely optional, and leveling-up your character is too much fun... Worth every penny :)

What else...? Finished F.E.A.R. Extraction Point and am now into Perseus Mandate. Extraction Point was fun, and had some really spooky moments, but Perseus Mandate has me worried... The story follows a second First Encounter Assault Recon team on a mission that seems to overlap with the first two titles. The thing is, the character you play as has all of the superhuman reflexes of the other team's main character... I wonder how they're gonna explain that one... Or if they already have and I just haven't been paying close enough attention... I dunno... Ergh... Just gonna shut my mouth now and play through it.

Also got a chance to play the new Windows-only content in Gears Of War (pretty good so far), as well as Crysis (kinda boring, but found a combination of high, medium, and low visual settings that seems to work well enough). Call Of Duty 4 and Lost Planet are on hold until I get through some more games that've been waiting longer, and I may just pass on Blacksite, Soldier Of Fortune, and Kane & Lynch altogether for the time being... I do intend to pick up Need For Speed ProStreet shortly though.

No comments: