Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Summer Lovin'

My game collection has grown quite a bit since my last post here...

I had some gift certificates left-over from Christmas for a local video game chain, so I headed-out to see what I could find. I came away with two Saturn games (Daytona USA CCE and SCUD The Disposable Assassin), a Japanese-style Saturn controller (the black US ones that came with later Saturns; arguably the best controller ever!), and Swagman for PS2 (I'd always wanted that one). Daytona's a huge improvement over the original Saturn version, SCUD's kinda low-budget but a great property, and Swagman is a very pretty game with a cool concept that kinda falls short with it's routine gameplay.

Once I'd finished at that store, I headed out to the one where I'd picked up the 32X games the other day, since it wasn't too far away. There was a sign on top of the display case in which they keep the 32X games that said 50% of everything in this case... So I asked for everything in the case ;) Well, not everything, but they did have nearly every 32X game. Apparently some guy had come in a few days earlier and sold his collection, which included Spider-Man: Web Of Fire. Web of Fire is one of the rarest 32X games, and sells for over $100 US on eBay. This place was selling it for $80 CAN, and I missed it by only a few days.

Anyway, I bought all the 32X games I didn't have, save for some sports games (NFL Quarterback Club, RBI Baseball, and WWF Raw). This purchase included Brutal Unleashed (garbage, but hard to find), Cosmic Carnage (a competent fighter, but nothing special), NBA Jam T.E. (classic game, horrible music), Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (really good platformer), Shadow Squadron (sadly underrated 3D space-shooter), Space Harrier (classic arcade goodness), and Star Wars Arcade (meh, it's alright). I also picked up SEGA Rally, Virtua Fighter Remix, and Panzer Dragoon for Saturn, as well as Sonic 3 and Vectorman for Genesis (all in the same display case, so same sale price).

Finally, I had to make a late-night battery run (to get a 2032 lithium battery for a computer), so that meant Wal-Mart. Not only did I get the battery, but I also picked-up Crazy Taxi 3 ($9, fun game for 15 minutes at a time), Grabbed By The Ghoulies ($9, beautiful graphics, great control scheme, so far lots of fun), and Sonic Heroes ($18, entertaining enough, but Sonic Team still hasn't quite got it right) for XBOX.

I think I have a problem :)

No comments: